After almost 24 months of constant development, the Debian project announced that Debian 8 Jessie has been released. It is the new stable version, which will be supported for the next 5 years thanks to the combined work of the Debian Security team and of the Debian Long Term Support team.
We are also pleased to announce that Debian 8 is available with all our Linux VPS Hosting plans. You can now choose it as your operating system for your virtual server.
Jessie ships with a new default init system,
systemd and we are more than happy to explain it to you in more details on our blog. The
systemd suite provides many exciting features such as faster boot times,
cgroups for services, and the possibility of isolating part of the services. The
sysvinit init system is still available in Jessie though.
This release includes numerous updated software packages, such as:
- Apache 2.4.10
- Asterisk 11.13.1
- GIMP 2.8.14
- an updated version of the GNOME desktop environment 3.14
- GNU Compiler Collection 4.9.2
- Icedove 31.6.0 (an unbranded version of Mozilla Thunderbird)
- Iceweasel 31.6.0esr (an unbranded version of Mozilla Firefox)
- KDE Plasma Workspaces and KDE Applications 4.14.2
- LibreOffice 4.3.3
- Linux 3.16.7-ckt9
- MariaDB 10.0.16 and MySQL 5.5.42
- Nagios 3.5.1
- OpenJDK 7u75
- Perl 5.20.2
- PHP 5.6.7
- PostgreSQL 9.4.1
- Python 2.7.9 and 3.4.2
- Samba 4.1.17
- Tomcat 7.0.56 and 8.0.14
- Xen Hypervisor 4.4.1
- the Xfce 4.10 desktop environment
- more than 43,000 other ready-to-use software packages, built from nearly 20,100 source packages.
If you’re one of our Linux VPS Hosting customers we can help you update your Debian Virtual Server for you free of charge. Just contact us and some of our experts will complete your request immediately.